Weight Loss Program: 11 Things to Look for Before You Sign Up for A Program
A weight loss program is one that is designed for anyone who wants to lose weight by following some specific instructions – diet or nutrition guide and exercise tips – until you achieve your desired goal(s).
However, if you want to enroll in a commercial weight loss program, there are certain important things you should look for before you sign those membership forms.
The tips below will not only help you sign up for a weight loss program that will help you lose weight but will also help you maintain your desired body weight after the program.
1. The staff should be well trained in their specialty, preferably having appropriate educational backgrounds, such as a physician, nurse, dietitian, or exercise physiologist.
2.. You should receive a medical screening verifying you have no medical or psychological condition that might be changed by weight loss through dieting or exercise.
3. A reasonable weight goal should be established given your weight history.
4. The rate of weight loss, after the first two weeks, should not exceed 2 pounds per week.
5. You should receive an individualized treatment plan based on your weight-loss goal.
6. The program should disclose in writing all health risks and benefits associated with the program, and you should have the opportunity to read them and sign an informed agreement form.
7. The diet should be one that:
- contains no less than 1 000 calories per day
- is between 10-30 percent fat calories
- has at least 100 grams of carbohydrate per day
- if under medical supervision, 600 calories and 50 grams of carbohydrateÂ per day are minimal levels.
8. The program should have a nutrition-education component that stresses permanent lifestyle changes in your eating habits.
9. Exercise should be a component in the program. The focus should be on aerobic exercise, following the standard relative to mode, intensity, duration, and frequency. It should be an exercise program you can live with for a lifetime.
10. Behavior-modification techniques should be individualized to help you incorporate sound dietary and exercise habits into your personal life-style.
11. There should be a weight-maintenance phase in the program once you have achieved your weight-loss goal. This should be a high priority to help you maintain your healthy body weight.
Although some individuals may need the structure of such weight loss programs, many successful individuals have lost excess body fat and kept it off with the programs they designed by themselves.
Finally, putting the above tips and advice into consideration before you sign up for a weight loss program will give you value for your money. Above all, you will have a healthy body that will make you happy for the rest of your life.